PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checklists according to CASA
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2014, 13:31
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have written the normal procedures (and emergency) for a certified general aviation aircraft for the AFM/POH and it is not quite so simple as it may seem.

I am of similar mind to Centaurus and approached the task with a brief to KISS, vital stuff only, but make sure to include and not contravene engine manufacturers operating manual procedures etc. also tried to ensure flow and largely succeeded. one AFM is about 10 revisions down stream and all normal and emergency procedures have become disjointed and convoluted as succeeding engineering staff have improved them to s state of almost being unusable.

I complained that they had seated to be useful as a pilot procedural aid and was reminded that the POH was an engineering controlled document required for certification and had nothing to do with the pilot.

Even the amplified procedures were tampered with and improved by a senior engineer who altered my original take off procedure from rotate at Vr, achieve Vtoss by 50ft Agl, to - do not raise the nose wheel until VToss.. That one got put back fairly quick and we routinely review the AFMs for our product range, but is it a losing battle I am afraid.

Early days I would produce a set of checklists ( exactly from the AFM/POH ) and laminate them with normal proc one side on white pages and emergency proc on other side on Pink appear with Red striped border on the other. Ok for several years until our beloved QA manager insisted that we must discontinue this practice as it conflicted with the CASA requirement that the sole source of procedural information was the actual AFM itself and even exact copies were not acceptanble no matter how convenient they may be.

It doesn't matter how hard you try, some smart arsed little snot with a degree and a massive sense of self importance will reduce real standards as best they can.

40 years as a pilot and over 25 years as a grade one instructor is not of any value when confronted by an engineer with asbergers syndrome.

StilL have most of my stuff in there, buried, occasionally tidied up, but it's a losing battle.

New type coming on so have to get at it before they stuff it up completely. Doing OK sor far but not holding my breath.

Flow brevity and simplicity. Keep to the essentials. I'll do my best.

Sigh!

HD