PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Elevated liver function tests
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2003, 02:08
speedbird011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weight and drinking

Grouse,

Thanks for your post I don't know that MCV was tested but will check if that came out OK. It sounds as though I'd better cut back a bit and go easy for a while. I definately could do with losing some weight (BMI 30-31) so I'm interested that may be the cause. I don't think I drink any more than many friends do and indeed I don't binge drink at the weekends as many of them do which is why the results came as something of a suprise.

777 - your post is alarming in that you clearly work with a lot of alcoholics etc and are an expert in the area. If you feel there is a serious problem here then that is contrary to my GP's view (which is that I'm not a problem drinker - I just need to cool it a bit) but I would be a fool to ignore your opinion.

I don't really feel that I'm in need of counciling or support groups yet as I will see if I can reduce my intake on my own (I have gone through phases of hardly drinking at all). I do know however that I drink more when I feel the need to escape from worries about money, jobs etc and I don't like using it as that kind of crutch. Right now the worries are fairly pressing.

I appreciate your advice and I'd be interested in understanding if weight could be the issue or alcohol.

Best regards,