PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus Cadet Pilot Program
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2014, 11:29
Gingerbread Man

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
This has easily got to be the best ab initio scheme going for which UK people are eligible (probably the best for the last decade). I applied last year but was turned down after the final stage, but it's really impressive that a national airline is still willing pay for the majority of the training cost. It's a little bit sad that that is noteworthy due to its rarity.

I'd guess there'll be only a handful of spaces and they'll be swamped with applications, but to their credit the people in HR respond to emails and calls very well. You have to be able to be quite flexible though. Last year I had less than a weeks notice for all three Dublin stages if memory serves. Cue lots of frantic flight/hotel booking while simultaneously finding people to cover shifts etc.

If it's anything like last year in structure it goes like this:

1) Application Form
2) Online aptitude tests

3) Assessment Centre, Dublin
- Assessed group discussion
- Written assessment (essay-type questions)
- Interview with two senior captains

4) Dublin
- Computerised tests
- Interview with two senior captains

5) Dublin
- Personality test (hundreds of questions)
- Interview with psychologist
(- Medical, if you don't already hold a Class 1)

Stages 3, 4 and 5 are all separate events and for me 3 and 4 were about five months apart. This may all have changed as FTE are clearly involved from the start this time.

It was a shame to go through the whole thing and not make it, but there's plenty of competition. I suggest going for it and giving your all.

Last edited by Gingerbread Man; 19th Oct 2014 at 11:06.