PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Phone 6 question.
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2014, 10:37
mixture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A pal of mine has devoted a large chunk of his life filming to broadcast standards and when I dropped by and saw a hi-ish def movie of him on the Broads I thought little of it . . . until he told me it was filmed on his phone.
Indeed, and as it happens the more recent Apple adverts have either been entirely shot on, or substantial footage shot on iPhone/iPad.

Its quite impressive to think how far we've come from the humble ubiquitous Nokia phones where a simple black and white screen running a game where one had to navigate a snake round a maze was enough to keep one more than satisfied during a long commute....

The friend demonstrated Barclays on-line banking via an app. I mentioned Barclays supplies Kaspersky free of charge, and did she think it safe to be doing her banking on a phone. What think you?
First thing I'd point out is that Kaspersky is anti-virus software, and that no doubt Barclays supply that for desktop PCs, not phones ? So Kaspersky is somewhat irrelevant in this instance.

The second thing I would say is that browsing the web or doing stuff on your phone is no more or less dangerous than doing so on a PC/laptop. Infact, I would go so far as pointing out that it is safer to do stuff on your phone than it is to do so on an untrusted PC/laptop (e.g. a friend's PC, an internet café etc.).

In terms of having banking and other "personal" apps on your phone, the first thing I would want to do is ensure the security of the phone itself. So on an iPhone that means:
- using a proper password to login (not a pin number)
- configuring auto-lock
- configuring auto-erase after too many incorrect passwords
- not being so stupid as to jailbreak the phone
- not letting anyone untrusted use your phone
- don't use the "auto-login" or "remember me" function of the high-risk "personal" apps, ensure you are always prompted for a password
- only use your high-risk "personal" apps on either the phone network's data service, or a trusted hotspot....do not use untrusted public WiFi for online banking !

If you take basic precautions in maintaining the trust and security of your phone, then you can treat with the same degree of trust as your own PC/laptop (as mentioned above).

Finally, I believe Barclays do 2FA (two factor authentication) when logging onto their website (i.e. you need a little barclays device and your chip & pin card) ? I assume the phone app makes use of this functionality ?