PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multicom vs area frequency
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2014, 09:18
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I do know the gory and intimate details of, and the reasons for, all of the half-baked, poorly-implemented changes inflicted on aviation in Australia in the last couple of decades. Funny thing is that I've been using the same frequency and broadcast procedures for around the last decade, and numerous biennial/aeroplane flight reviews (or whatever they are called). Funnier still is that all the pilots I know use the same procedures.
Yes, seems you are the victim of the education program of the day which sadly failed to get is message fully across! ... But then it was in the AIP...

You do seem to be changing your tune a little on this issue. Now it's that the NOTAM can be published, but no one in the GA world will read it.

GA pilots thank you for the insult.

I'll say it again: If the standard of airmanship has deteriorated to the point at which pilots aren't reading NOTAMs, trivia like frequency and broadcast rules are the least of Australia's aviation problems.
No, not an insult, just a statement of fact!! How many GA pilots do you know that even check NOTAM's these days, let alone the FIR ones? As for airmanship, it has not been taught significantly for at least 25 years - we now wear the consequences, including it seems younger FOI's who clearly don't understand such things!

But that's not the system currently in place in Australia, and it was only ever in place for a very short time. (I remember the reason for 'Dick's Biscuits' being put on charts. Do you?)
Only because it has been changed by by those that don't understand the way the system is meant to work! And yes, I recall the DS biscuits.

Poor dears. It must be incredibly disruptive and throw high flying cockpits into complete disarray when they hear a broadcast that is not relevant.

This "problem" is based on a complete fiction: That there is lots of aviation activity going on at places in Australia that aren't marked on aeronautical charts.

Australia isn't the USA. There's lots more of nothing happening at lots more places in Australia.

Another funny thing is that almost all of the broadcasts I hear on any frequency are "not relevant" .... to me. But I continue to figure that the system not just about me.
Creamy, have you ever sat in the cruise at FL's and listened to all the low level crap on area? Sad part is you have to listen (good airmanship) in order not to miss the calls from centre directed to you. The level of activity is irrelavent, it is the level of chat that is more the subject of this discussion. Australia will never be the USA because our aviation culture is so different, regardless of the traffic levels. When the education is directed more at the entrenched culture issues it might start to see some positive change! Go fly over there and you will see the difference before the wheels leave the ground.

How does broadcasting on area reduce CASA's exposure? I thought the risk of this "change" is that there'll be ATC meltdown and crashing RPTs.
Under the present system CASA "make up" the procedures, regardless it seems of what ASA and industry think. This is all about communication, which this example indicates CASA are not much good at!

Easy: You get a job in CASA, and fix it.
Not that easy, except maybe for the new DAS - most walk in the door get brainwashed for a year or so, and then forget all that was previously important to them!

The funny thing - no, the hilarious thing - is that whatever changes you made, there'd be a bunch of loudmouths telling you that you don't understand what you are making decisions about and you got it wrong!
No, the issue is not a lot of loudmouths on either side of the fence, but the failure of some in CASA to realise they don't know all answers, and then have the guts to talk to others in order to arrive at a good decision, which means that everyone should at least have the courtesy to invite discussion and of course listen....