PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 14th Sep 2014, 08:02
ancientaviator62

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
smudge,
my two trips to DG were rather more routine than yours. First time in the long WW2 wooden huts. Second time in air con blocks after the makeover. Pics taken on the second visit.
We were tasked to pick up some SBS chaps from Halim in Indonesia where they had been on exercise. The routing was:
Lyn-Bahrein-Seeb (RTB, fuel leak the log book says)-Bahrein (frame change)-Colombo-Paya Lebar-Halim-DG-Nairobi-Luxor-Palermo-Lyn.
The cunning plan was for the SBS hve built up the pallets with their kit for a QTR at Halim. We get to Halim in the dark and in the rain. Very hot and humid.
They have built up the pallets alright except that every pallet is upside down !
I am screening a new (lady) ALM so while she does the trim the SBS and I sort it all out and off we go. I warn the captain that the weight of the cargo may not be quite as manifested, but everything is OK.
Just past the crit point for diverting to The Seychelles we have a problem with the number two engine so on we go to DG for five nights whilst the problem is sorted.
In the BX they have all kinds of goodies including the headgear you see below.
We just could not resist it !