PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why does the mail pick on My Travel
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2003, 00:02
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 158 Likes on 32 Posts
Rupetime,

I agree that perhaps MYT's PR dept has been a bit lacking, but the company was effectively gagged whilst the accounts were being audited, so it was unable to say much more than it did at the time. This may still be the case as the refinancing talks continue but one thing for sure is that the new board are taking positive measures to try to reverse the decline of the company.

Stategic review from top to bottom, job cuts, cost savings, capacity reduction, proper accounting practice, dialogue with the banks, refinancing plans to give the company time turn things around etc etc . It just gets very "tiresome" when no matter what you do or say, certain elements of the press seem intent on doing their absolute best to ALWAYS take the negative stance and publish as damaging a headline as they can think up (even if only about 10% of it is actually relevant).

MYT is one of only two UK owned tour operators - so why does it seem that great bastion of Britishness, the DM, is intent on doing as much as possible to ensure that 15,000 UK people loose their jobs? Is there another agenda?

I almost can't wait for next weeks interims, which are quite obviously not going to be brilliant (tour operators ALWAYS run at a loss in the winter). It will be interesting to see how it gets reported in the media. I think the same results last year were about £150 million loss for the first 6 months - theoretically this years will be worse due to the new accounting practices. But MYT have had a busy winter so we shall see.

A4