PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Phone 6 question.
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2014, 17:37
mixture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Stuart,

I'd like some advice or thoughts as to which one to purchase
A large part of the decision comes down to dimensions.

The 6+ obviously has a bigger screen, which is nice to look at and also allows you to use some of the new functionality in the upcoming iOS8 relating to landscape mode.

But.... you need to consider the practicalities. Can you comfortably shove something that big in your pocket ?

There is obviously demand for larger screens on smartphones... indeed, if you go to Korea, you'll see them all with massive display smartphones stuck to their faces.

But personally, I prefer something more modestly sized. I'm a believer in the right tool for the job... a smartphone is a smartphone, if I want a bigger screen, I'll get an iPad !

On the other hand (not being rude) at your age, your eyes may thank you for buying the 6 plus with a larger screen !

If you don't mind the size (or regularly travel with a bag/rucksack/briefcase ) , then the 6 plus has a few little things here and there going for it based on the spec...... such as longer battery life (I guess the dimensions allow them to put a larger battery in there) and optical image stabilisation on the camera.

But whether you really need image stabilisation on a smartphone camera I'm not sure .... I've got a DSLR and a bunch of lenses, half of which don't have image stabilisation, the only lenses that do are the longer/heavier lenses where it is most useful, I don't miss or need it at all on my shorter lenses. Therefore I wouldn't necessarily hinge my buying decision on that. But if you're sitting on the fence it's obviously an extra point in favour of the 6 plus.

The phones should be in the Apple Stores next week (19th)....so if you want to be cheeky and you've got an Apple Store near you, assuming the stock hasn't all already been reserved by other buyers, you could reserve one of each for collection on the 19th and make your decision on the day once you've played with the display models .....

also whether to buy one outright or to go for a contract
Technically its cheaper to buy outright because you'll be paying a financing premium on the amortised cost when you buy on a contract.

But if your personal finances would cope better with the amortised cost, then the premium may be a small price to pay.

Also bear in mind that places like Mazuma are offering special deals for previous model owners.... I got almost £300 for an iPhone 5s.

Last edited by mixture; 13th Sep 2014 at 21:45.