PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Handtools, convincing mangement to buy high quality tools
Old 13th Sep 2014, 07:31
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know where the British army used to get there tools in the 80's and before?

The bouncing up and down on a scaffolding pole was pretty common in my day.

And some of the boys had the same set as when they joined up with 15 years abuse delivered to them.

I must admit I have a set of legitimately acquired sockets and spanners with an arrow on them. And although I am not a heavy user of the tools they must be 40-50 years old now and still going strong.

My least used but most liked tool for that era is an old SLR piston with two flats ground on the head to make it legal. I don't know what they made it out of but it is an amazing drift as long as you don't mind destroying what your trying to get out. Only thing is you have to watch you don't use a cheap hammer because it is that hard it may shatter the hammer if you belt it hard enough. I have use it with sledge hammer and its still as straight as the day I killed two grinding wheels putting the flats on it.

The old boys used to have two of these one with a flat head and one with a chisel ground on the end. Which I have seen cut bolt heads off with using a lump hammer.