PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Auster,Champ,Taylorcraft pa-15 or similar???
Old 12th Sep 2014, 21:03
ecosse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While not one of your vintage types, a Rans S6 would fulfil a lot of your other criteria. They are good load lifters and are happy (in fact prefer) to operate on MOGAS. They are good short field machines and you have a choice of flavours. You could go for an S6-ESD (microlight) with a Rotax 912 engine. This would do all you require, without the need to convert to NPPL (SSEA). There are nose and tail wheel versions. I gather that Randy Schlitter, the designer and manufacturer, is over 6’ 5” tall and designed the aircraft to fit his frame.

You might also like to look at Jodels, although they may be more limited on the height consideration. They are nice aircraft and a bit quicker than the Rans, they do prefer AVGAS. Like the Rans they will need hangerage being a wood / fabric airframe.

Happy hunting on AFORS etc.

Thanks for the replays guys,

RE.Rans, looks like a nice first time go anywhere aircraft, but reminds me of those r/c trainer aircraft i used to have, then one day a guy showed up with a 1/4 scale blue and white Cub and i thought "now thats an aircraft"

thats when my love affair for old vintage style craft started. The same old guy had hundreds of scratch built champs,t-craft,minors,moths etc, which is why i love these types of craft, nothing against the RANS I know they are great aircraft, but not my dream plane, I've had a few model cubs etc to, and then suddenly realised i could actually afford one.

Ok now after having the most amazing flight time (thanks ali) in an X-Air I have completely re considered this whole question.

I found this aircraft more fun than i could ever have imagined, suddenly I realised that i could have just as much fun in something like this as any other A/C and its exactly what i loved about microlights to start with, ie cheap and fun.

sure i like the 50k planes available too but what i loved was to be able to pull something out of a trailer or hangar (if i get a low wing as there isn't much room for high wings left in the hangar) fire it up and go have some fun, which i am sure an s6 will do as well as a cub or similar

That being said i would love an old vintage plane like the types mentioned and one day i'm sure i will but for now i'm gonna get myself a ride in a rans s6 and see how that goes, it does tick all the boxes, seat loading is 95kg i believe and if I've had a heavy christmas i can still fly legal.

whiskey-kilo-wanderer i should have listened too you in the first place

after i gain my wings i can spend some time practicing and go from there.

Kenny