PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What RPM do flight control motors spin at?
Old 12th Sep 2014, 16:06
kenpimentel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, that's what I was worried about. The flight control motors are actually hydraulic servos.

I guess I'm stuck with trying to use the DC alternators. In that case, I have to get gearing or belts that will allow a windmill, which probably won't turn any faster than 1K to work with a DC alternator from the plane that probably needs at least 5K to deliver something close to rated output.

Or, they'll have to create their own windings and use the permanent magnets to create a low-RPM generator. It's been done, I've seen many instances on the web of people doing that.

If anyone has any ideas on how to create 1kW/day of power from a mostly in one-piece 777, I'm all ears!

I can't use the APU right now, as the plane is far from the site where the people are settled. At some point, when they have enough tools/manpower, they will try to move the APU out of the tail and over to the settlement. I don't know the fuel consumption of the APU, but there is roughly 1000G of jet fuel still on the plane.

The RAT might work, but it is the same situation as the DC alternator. It wants to spin at a high speed. If anyone knows the RPM the RAT needs to spin at, that would be helpful.

thanks!