PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying school loses my PPL examination records - what to do?
Old 12th Sep 2014, 07:22
keith williams

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
The FI might have done it and marked it. The sheet left for the examiner
I have no doubt that is how things are actually done. The Standards Document permits the use of an FI to invigilate the exam, but specifically states that exam papers must be marked by the Ground Examiner only.

to then put into the SRG1105A which may only be done on completion of the course.
That also probably happens quite frequently. But it defeats the objective of gradually building up a full record.

Sadly some (too many) ground examiners treat this whole subject as simply a boring chore, and are largely unaware of what the Standards Document requires them to do.

Some years ago I was CGI at a school conducting ATPL courses. We were setting up a Foundation degree course which would involve having classes of up to 24 students taking PPL exams. The university required rigorous recording of exams and results, which would be inspected by the external moderator every year.

With 24 students and 7 exams each, the task was clearly going to be pretty demanding. I knew that this would be quite beyond the capacity of the CFI, so I looked into the possibility of one of the ground school instructors (who would not be an FI) becoming the PPL Ground Examiner. The Standards Document stated a requirement for Ground Examiners to hold an FI certificate or else an AOPA Ground Instructors Certificate.

When I asked AOPA when the next Ground Instructor Course would be held, they could not give me a date. When I pressed the matter further AOPA told me that because they had never had any requests for the course, they had never designed one. So despite being specified in the Standards Document, the course and the certificate did not exist. That was in 2007, but I would be surprised in things have changed since then.