PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Elevated liver function tests
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2003, 20:23
speedbird011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elevated liver function tests

I recently underwent a series of blood tests and during the course of these it was discovered that my ALT was twice normal and the Gamma GT was slightly elevated.

MY GP suggested this was indicative that I was drinking a little too much however I am concerned that I may have caused some permanent damage which may prevent me becoming a pilot (I am currently studying for ATPL). I know that the airlines now run a range of tests to check for alcohol etc and am very worried that even if I lay off the pop I may not pass.

The GP indicated my readings were not uncommon in someone who is drinking more than the recommended limits and said that he'd seen much worse from alcoholics etc so didn't seem overly concerned.

For the record like many thritysomethings I drink a few glasses of wine most nights of the week ie 1/2 to 2/3 of a bottle isn't uncommon and I manage a whole bottle at the weekends when dinner parties etc happen. I do stay dry a night or two a week.

I never touch spirits and I hardly drink any beer.

I'd like views on whether if I cut down my levels should return to normal? I'd rather not blow £40 000 more training if I'm not going to pass an airline medical.

Thanks,

Speedbird011

Last edited by Hawk; 18th May 2003 at 19:09.