PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hypoxia
Thread: Hypoxia
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2014, 23:22
Tarq57

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TAAMGuy
As a controller, if I was informed that there was a pressurization issue, and a descent request, i would consider that as good as a declaration of emergency. However, just the fact that the pilot has told me he has a pressurization issue, I'm going to really be paying attention to his voice in an effort to assess how he is being affected. If i hear the voice wavering, i would inclined to force the aircraft down. I would also be more wary of a GA pilot than airline.
That's how I'd treat it, too. I think that's how most controllers - particularly experienced controllers - would treat it.

Should there be an SOP introduced for both parties that mandates a descent in the event an issue with pressurization has been identified? Whether or not the pilot requests it? Morally, at what point do I believe the pilots judgement has been compromised and take action?
Tricky. Unless such info (cabin pressure) is datalinked to ATC, or is displayed as part of a mode "s" readout on the datablock, or the pilot actually informs ATC there's a pressure issue (say, prior to to becoming incapacitated) you're just groping around in the dark. And with probably little or no reason to suspect anything is wrong.
If the pilot mentions it but sounds vague the effect is probably already happening, and strongly encouraging a descent/reminding them to put the mast on might work, or it might already be too late.
I don't think a telepathy rating can be mandated via a SOP, but it's a nice idea.