PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Report A109E accident at Vauxhall, and Inquest Verdict
Old 11th Sep 2014, 22:58
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if I understand TC correctly, Peter Barnes was the proverbial "rotten apple". He broke the rules and was complacent and as a result, crashed and died. Obviously he'll never make that mistake again and aviation will be safer without him. Or will it?

The answer is it won't be, because nothing will have been done to prevent others from doing the same. Will more rules and greater punishments change anything? I doubt it. The AAIB described what happened where and it appeared Peter decided to aviate, navigate and communicate all at the same time - but we still don't know why. How many times since this incident have helicopters flown along H4 in marginal conditions? I don't have any numbers, but I'll wager it was more than one. How about using pilots with more experience? So that will be pilots with more than 10,000 hrs. Or will another gadget in the aircraft help? Aren't there enough already? Or is it the environment or system in which they operate at fault?

I'll tell you for free, beating people with a safety stick does little to change the future. Or do we print a notice on the windshield stating "WARNING - Do not be complacent"?

The solution I'm suggesting is that we start by understand the reasons why because it is clear that the rule makers have failed us. You don't think so? Well when you next get in your car, see how many illegal acts are committed around you. You can even include yourself if you like. There'll be speeders, under-takers. mobile phone users, non-seatbelt users, in-insured drivers etc. And each and every one of these acts is illegal, yet the drivers still offend.

So yes TC, Heliport is right, I do listen but don't agree with you. The only way we can lift our game is to work with people and not punish them. Creating and enforcing rules, regulations and by-laws gave improvements in the past, but we have moved on. Let's keep progressing and try not to revert back to our savage past

PM