PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hypoxia
Thread: Hypoxia
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2014, 21:37
glendalegoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dear atcwatcher

I actually do know quite a bit about ATC, Radio phraseology and more. I've been making my living as a pilot for 35 years or more. By the way, we don't say R/T here in the USA. Its just radio. Ask a fellow named Lee DeForest.

BUT I do know that many pilots are imprecise in their use of radio. And ATC has adjusted to non standard phraseology. Indeed, I've heard ATC use some non standard phraseology now and again. I realize that in europe, everything is perfect.

Those who wonder why the pilot didn't request 10,000'? Well, he may have been impaired. He may have seen the cabin differential would hold a cabin altitude of 8000' at FL180. He may have been trying to salvage things instead of declaring an emergency. Pilots are like that. Declare an emergency and most likely things are going to heck in a handbasket quickly and may (subconsciously) signal defeat.

While many can read the controller/pilot glossary, it takes someone who has been around awhile to read a situation.

Does anyone know how long the controller had been checked out at Center? Was he a journeyman of many years or a newly checked out controller?

Taamguy makes a good point.