PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 13 Years ago this day -
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2014, 16:21
TrakBall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Longest Day

Thirteen years ago today was my longest day since I had to set up and manage the American Airlines emergency media facility. My good friends in AA Corporate Communications were in shock and mourning but still incredibly professional.

The thing is, they were not allowed to say anything to the media. No statements, no press conferences - nothing. As much as anything, what affected them most was they could not show their grief and anger at the events that unfolded. I know it hurt them a lot.

One other thing. For the most part, the media I dealt with was uncharacteristically reserved and polite. They generally did not try and ambush AA employees as they came and went for meaningless soundbites. It was plain what everyone was feeling at AA's headquarters and for once, the reporters let it be.

Still, thirteen years later, I will be stopping by the memorial to the crew that lost their lives on that faithful morning to pay my respects to them and the passengers and bystanders that perished that day.

TB