PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAN ENGINE START AIRBUS
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2014, 00:27
Amadis of Gaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We should bear in mind that young people today have access to a lot more information than we did at that age. When I was thirteen, I was very heavily into airplanes, but it would have taken months for me to get a hold of anything like an FCOM or similar document. It didn't help that at that age I was on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain, but even had I wanted to get training materials for Eastern Bloc aircraft, it would have taken writing to relevant officials and hoping for the best. AF330 and his ilk can get all that in a keystroke or two, and I'm a little jealous (in a good way). Also, out of a 7 billion population of the Earth, is it really so far-fetched that some young people might, indeed, be "spectacular"? I give AF330 credit for actually admitting that he's just a kid who loves airplanes. I suspect there are a few here who are in the same position, but will never admit it, as if it's something to be ashamed of.

AF330, as to the answer to your latest question, there is a bit more to it than that, but in essence you are correct, in N1 mode the primary parameter for thrust setting is N1 % instead of EPR. Keep in mind that CFM-powered 320s ONLY have N1 mode, thus that switch is not present on those aircraft. That's also the reason why CFM and IAE-powered 320s have slightly different EDs and SDs