PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 10th Sep 2014, 20:44
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Madbob,

Thanks for those great shots of "Terry the Tractor" with the results of the collision, particularly the comparison between wings. As you rightly say, what a sad event, and loss it was. Having spent many happy hours in the aircraft, post the prang, it says a lot for technical capability that it was recovered at all. I assume that eventually the LH mainplane was replaced ? I must say I only flew in 206 with SF crews, who rarely flew straight and level, so any idiosyncrasies of the aircraft would probably go unnoticed.. If you were the Eng on this aircraft during the event, then a personal hello, and I hope you are well.

Smudge

Coff, re your interest in SCNS, I'm sure Chickenlover can give you a better description, but I certainly saw SCNS being used in the run up to GW1 where we did visual approaches during the day to "strips", with the Nav I assume, taking positional fixes during the visual procedure. Having stored these positions, the sortie could then be repeated at night, with pilot reference provided through the heading and pitch steering bars on the Golliwogs eyeball, backed up using NVG. I know that one Arthur C*****n once convinced me of such, but then, he was a Nav, and me a just a GE.

Last edited by smujsmith; 10th Sep 2014 at 20:57.