PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew on Fire Duty??
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2003, 17:34
G fiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here you go boys...the (civvie) tax payers point of view!

It is a waste using expensively trained and qualified aircrew to speed(sic) around in Green Goddesses.

It is also criminal that service personnel are used to try and do a very highly qualified job with f/all training (takes 4yrs to become a qualified fireman- government standard not union rules).

What really p**ses me off is the fact there wouldn't have been a firemans strike if the government had actually implemented one of their own reports (the phoenix report- called for a £1.2b investment in the fire service- "needed to counter dangerous inadequacies in service provision for this country, and to meet projected needs in the future".(quoted from report) This report was issued after 9/11 and included that in it's planning models.

I don't think you guys realise how much you have in common with firemen...

The firemen are there for when we need them and when we don't they train for when we do...sound familiar?

The firemen are very often using outdated (and in some cases dangerous- eg Breathing Apparatus) equipment to save money...sound familiar?

The firemen are expected to put up with death and injury as a part of the job, but not shout about it...sound familiar?

The firemen's pension and death in service arrangements are crap...sound familiar?

The firemen's pay lags behind their equivalents (from a technical/risk and training point of view) -NY firemen get US$ 59000...sound familiar?

I'm not a fireman, in case you're wondering... but I did some research, 'cos I initially thought the firemans strike was wrong but now....

How little does this country value those who are in its service...seems to me if we are not careful we are going to end up with the services that we deserve. (boy, then our insurance premiums will be a doozy!)

I wish all servicemen many, cheap beers, a quiet life and decent kit.

An ex Flying Officer (resigned and not bitter, unless it's Tanglefoot)

PS did you know...65% of all firemen are ex service personnel?