PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 10th Sep 2014, 15:58
Mal Drop

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have pictures of the damage stashed away somewhere and got a version of the events from the crew.

On talkdowns into Kuwait Intl, we also used to do them on the newly fitted Loran 604 which was incredibly accurate but a bitch to operate as we had to learn it straight from the manual. I have no idea whether any formal training on it was ever developed, I certainly never had any.

I doubt half the stuff we did in theatre in order to complete tasks would have been signed off by the relevant authorities. For some troop sorties we even took to taxying out of sight of the local 'head shed' and reconfiguring things so that we could actually get the job done.

On one sortie I recall the Detco giving me a blank sheet of paper and asking me to mark any significant navigational features for our route. When I handed it back it featured a six-lane highway with 250'+ powerlines for almost the entire route. We were working from out-of-date aeronautical charts, being spun-up in theatre as far as possible and generally making it up as we went along.

Good times...