PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW101 helicopter flies Prime Minister David Cameron during NATO Summit in Wales
Old 10th Sep 2014, 14:12
minigundiplomat

Received 185 Likes on 69 Posts
Is there a Naval Chinook yet??? Ever??? wonder why a 50yr old design (Chinook) hasn't ever transitioned to a naval domain.....
The UK CH47 has been flying off decks for 14 years (probably longer) with no issues. It doesn't fit in the lifts, but hey, our carriers are about the size of a rowing boat.

I have bounced off the deck of the both the Stennis and the Eisenhower by CH47. It's not difficult - ask CHF if they want the Merlin or the CH47........

IC: my source apparently is a little more reliable than yours though, because mine understand that the AW101s were not replaced, but simply combined under a unified command; the Royal Navy because they are a superior naval helicopter.
Your source is wrong. All helicopters have been under a unified command since 2000; in order to get the CH47, the RAF had to give up their Merlins. Whilst they fought to keep both, faced with the decision that it was one or the other, the CH47 won.

Do you work for AW?