PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 10th Sep 2014, 13:17
CoffmanStarter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chickenlover ...

I hope you don't mind a tech follow up from me ... but I was intrigued by your reference to your Nav providing you with a "talk down" with reference to the Self Contained Navigation System (SCNS). I was reasonably sure this was basically an INS Platform you were referring to ... did a bit of digging and found this from LM covering the Ring Laser Giro/SCNS

http://www.lockheedmartin.co.uk/cont...News/V22N3.pdf

However ... I'd be interested to understand how a SCNS "talk down" is transacted ... I'm assuming Position, Range, Heading and Height data is available ... Is this information then passed to the Pilot verbally like in a PAR "talk down" ("You're above GP, adjust your rate of descent ... left of CL but converging" ... etc.) ? Does the Nav run a plot of Glideslope/Extended Centre Line to create the mental picture or have I got it totally wrong ?

Sorry ... I'm a bit sad I know ... But I still have fond memories of flogging around many years ago in a Chipmunk trying very hard to fly an accurate PAR pattern with my Boss breathing down my neck

Coff.