PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F4 vs Lightning vs F15 vs F14 vs F16 etc
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2014, 23:04
Bevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiG21SM
Opponents would think that at this speed MiG-21 can only bring down the nose and dive, but the MiG at less than 100 knots has sufficient pitch authority to raise the nose at enemy.
Since I have first-hand knowledge of flying both the MiG-21 and F-7M, I would like to add a couple of comments. The MiG-21/F-7M was relatively simple aircraft that were easy to fly. The biggest issue with the MiG-21 is its lack of on-board fuel. If an F-4 and MiG-21 were equally distant from their respective basses, the F-4 could simply hold off the MiG until it ran out of fuel.

Fighter pilots never, ever want to allow themselves to get low and slow...that is a death sentence. As one gains experience one learns to stay fast and use the vertical.

I’m going to have to take issue with your statement that “the MiG at less than 100 knots has sufficient pitch authority to raise the nose at enemy”. Sorry but that is a vast overstatement. While I don’t disagree that you don’t want to be slow in a fighter I would also like to note that the MiG-21 had a very high induced drag with its delta wing and so it slowed down in a hard turning fight. The MiG was then slow to accelerate out of that condition. In an F-4 you could in fact turn with a MiG-21 below 250 kts by using approach flaps (1/2 flaps). In that condition you could actually turn in front of the MiG-21 if you were above him since he could not bring his nose up to track you. I have been there several times. This was not on the approved list of F-4 maneuvers but was effective. And here I am talking about the MiG-21Fishbed C/E and the really nice and light F-7M. By the way if you want a real slow speed problem, try to gun an A-10!