PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bang it on???
Thread: Bang it on???
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2014, 22:54
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On final, power off, nose up, and stall the aircraft. Keep the control column fully back. Walk it down with the rudder - called the "falling leaf". Your VSI will indicate around -2000 fpm
If I pull the controls fully back on final, and I'm a foot off the runway, my VSI won't indicate anything, as I will have landed before it has a chance. No wreck involved - that would be a new experience for me, which I skillfully prevent!

If I have approached the stall in stable deceleration, and the controls are fully back, the plane is defined as being stalled. If I land it that way, it was a full stall landing. I have not cited CLmax as a stall criteria.

But yes, impressionable pilots, do not take 51's advice, and approach the runway at 2000 FPM down, fully stalled - It won't work out at all well, and he'll be asking for a video! It is obviously VERY important to 51, that pilots are reminded that a stall warning and a stall are not the same thing, and it's true!

If you have achieved a stall warning at touchdown, and your landing was "nice", you did very well. Pat yourself on the back, and do it again!