PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Veterans planning to leave Scotland in the event of a yes vote?
Old 9th Sep 2014, 21:39
The Helpful Stacker

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Airpolice - With so many tasty morsels to pick from I was spolit for choice, so I'll just stick with a little bit for now and allow others a turn at the buffet.

If our cost of living should go down (as a result of lower taxation supported by lower defence spending) would you want your pension lowered by Westminster?

Spot the connections between Finland, Sweden and Ireland.

Not in NATO.
Lets start at the end and work backwards. The SNP/Yes to Independence campaign have stated they wish to remain in/join NATO.

So working further back, neither Finland, Sweden nor Ireland are NATO members so can choose their own levels of defence spending.

Going back to the start, if is a very big word. How will iScotland be able to afford lower taxation when (if), according to Salmonds plans, they become a member of NATO and are required to maintain defence spending levels of, I believe, 2% of GDP?

I'm all for Scotland having an independence referendum and, if it leads to it, going their own way, but please don't pretend a post-independence Scotland is going to be a land of milk and honey (and low taxes), especially not if the promises being made by the Yes campaign are stuck to. If the Yes campaign stick to their promises (especially regarding health and social care provision) then someone is going to end up paying a significant amount of tax.