PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF to Atheist: Say 'God' in oath or don't re-enlist.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 18:17
MPN11

Received 140 Likes on 65 Posts
As I'm currently a Brit on vacation/holiday in Virginia (as is often the case), and spending time with various friends (ex-Mil predominantly), I'm deeply conscious of the linguistic and cultural differences between the two Nations.

Curiously, despite the group including a US Navy pilot, a submariner, a Ranger/SF, a couple of Marines and a USAF guy (and myself and OH both ex-RAF) none of us use potentially perjorative terms for each other's Service or nationality. Perhaps over the last 10 years or so we have just accepted our differences? Or perhaps we are just older and more polite? Or perhaps my many years controlling USAF aircraft over East Anglia, and visiting their bases helped?

I even earned credibility in the early days by referring to The War Between the States ... VA being a Southern State, the distinction matters to some here. I do not, however, refer to The War of Northern Aggression as that leads into some very complex debate which makes "The Irish Question" seem simple