PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF to Atheist: Say 'God' in oath or don't re-enlist.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 16:56
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
The reason why the words "so help me God" are now required are laid out in the articles quoted by Lonewolf. What is not clear, however, is the thinking behind the recent move to make these words compulsory, when it would appear, if I have read it right, that hitherto they could be omitted.

Could it be that the evangelical faction referred to by Lonewolf have had their say and are seeking to exclude atheists? It certainly seems so.

Living in a very secular society (UK) I am often somewhat surprised at the extent to which religion still plays a major part in the day to day life of many citizens of the USA, but I hadn't realised things had gone this far.

I'm not keen on "spams" either, Lonewolf

btw

I much prefer septics

No offence - really!

btw roadster - I think most of us realise the original meaning of "yankee", just as most Americans realise that the United Kingdom is made up of four different nations, but that doesnt stop many of them referring to the country as "England". I dont think it does to get too precious about these things.