PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bang it on???
Thread: Bang it on???
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2014, 16:36
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when the controls are being held full nose up at touchdown, and the aircraft settles on ... it is likely that the aircraft is practically stalled at touchdown.

Nope.
With respect: Could be.....

Sec. 23.201

Wings level stall.
....... a stall is produced, as shown by either:
    My bold.

The aircraft descends (touches down) because it slows down, and lift decreases - see the lift equation, which tells us that lift is a function of velocity squared. Small changes in airspeed result in large changes in lift.
    Yes, I generally agree, but it is not the only way. Allowing the notion of a "full stall" landing, which is possible in many aircraft types, supports the understanding objective for new pilots.

you will find that the wing of a light aircraft is not stalled even when the tail hits the ground. How are you going to arrange for a higher AOA at touchdown, than a tailstrike allows?
    I have tailstruck my taildragger in a fully stalled landing (though I seek to avoid doing this). I have never tailstruck a floatplane, no matter how hard I held the controls against the nose up stop!

But, in the interest of objectivity, yes, if you fly a STOL equipped tricycle Cessna at very high AoA, close to a hard surface, it is possible that the tail tiedown ring will strike the ground first, and doing this is bad.

I'm not suggesting that fully stalled landings are common, but they can be executed more often than they are, and this objective (without striking the tail) is generally good.