PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado GR1 ZA610
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2014, 16:22
paulilf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tornado

So as you stated Mikey B was not found. But if the Tornado was found on the sea bed, and it was. And the trawler located it on the sounder and hit it with the nets. In the process pulling the ejector seat and the navigator to the surface. Then where was Mike Barnard if not in the tornado.
The accident summery clearly says it is thought that the crew did not eject. That in itself is incorrect as they know the navigator did not eject, and having the exact location of the tornado they could soon ascertain if another crew member was still in the plane. The RAF guy who was in radio contact with the trawler crew told them not to touch the ejector seat as there was enough explosive in it to blow the back off the trawler. I don't know how true that would be but that's what they were told. The trawler crew new the exact location of the Tornado and passed this on to the RAF guys.
So why did the M.O.D pay another trawler from Grimsby £1000 per day for 2 weeks to search for the Tornado after it had been located.
When the ejector seat was pulled to the surface the trawler man says that it was just like a new pin with no obvious marks or bends to be seen. Would it be possible to pull an ejector seat from the plane without damaging it. He says the parachute was trailing in the water and that's what he thinks got caught in the nets.
AGS man pointed out that a reason for the high radioactivity could be due to exotic metals and alloys that are radioactive and a hazard, especially if inhaled as a dust or powder. That may well be true, but would dust and powder be present in the north sea. And if they had to discard there entire catch because it was contaminated. Then you would think that an boats fishing in the immediate area would have to do the same.
I am not trying to create a mystery around this tragedy, I am though trying to understand why there seems to be so many discrepancies surrounding it.
Regards Paul