PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bang it on???
Thread: Bang it on???
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2014, 15:13
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You never stall a light GA aircraft on landing
I can't agree with this as an absolute statement. It is true that in most cases, the desirable stall warning at touchdown is just that, a warning, so correct, the aircraft was not truly stalled.

But, there are circumstances when the controls are being held full nose up at touchdown, and the aircraft settles on, sometimes with power. In those cases, it is likely that the aircraft is practically stalled at touchdown. Some floatplane or soft field landings would be like this.

Obviously, a stall to the point of a pitch down at the time of touch down will not work out at all well. Happily, before a plane pitches down, it will be settling as it approaches a stall, and settling in a nose high attitude is very nice, for what is termed a "full stall" landing.

Yes a smooth touchdown is targeted for, however never use another couple of seconds to achieve that. With 140 to 160 kts landingspeed, you run out of runway very quickly.
I think there are about zero private GA aircraft with a landing speed of 140 to 160 kts! That well exceeds the Vne of both of my planes! With a light GA aircraft, whose landing speed would be in the range of 45 to 65 kts, spending those few extra seconds to achieve a gentle landing will not increase the runway used - as you're slowing down in the air anyway! All slowing in the air costs zero, where any slowing done on the ground costs in tires and brakes, and some landing gear wear and tear.

Please do use those few extra seconds to slow in the air, touch down more slowly, and gently! Not all landing areas are nice smooth pavement!