PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 9th Sep 2014, 12:18
chickenlover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA62 - I know of several who made the crossover successfully, one of my former colleagues did the reverse journey of AH and ended up as a QWI on the Harrier.
Thought this may be of interest as it ties a few of the recent discussion points together. AH was the captain of the a/c in the picture and I followed him in shortly after. We tried to get in at low level and failed due to the extremely poor visibility in the smoke from the now raging oil fires. We got uncomfortably close to several power pylons that ringed the airport at Kuwait. We then set up an internal aids approach and got a superb talk down from the Nav using the embryonic SCNS. I don't believe it had been approved at this stage for this, certainly not down to the silly decision height we used. The kit was very accurate, and the well flown monitored approach by the Co and Nav plonked me on very short finals for the landing. My memory of the rest of the day is a bit hazy-I think we gave some fuel to AH who had given all of his to the Apaches who were still mopping up pockets of resistance locally. I may be confusing this with another trip - I wish I had made more detailed notes of what happened on which trip. If I'm honest, we were all pretty fatigued by this point. We'd had a run of back to back day and night trips spending long hours on NVGs grabbing kip on the a/c or in the tents at Al-Jouf. Hopefully some of the chaps out there will have a better memory of the period . I just wished we'd had a better call sign than 'Monti' !