PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Image and file management advice.
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2014, 12:10
mixture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and then do a copy/paste or cut/paste of enormous size. Will Windows cope, or will it crash with a message such as 'file name length exceeded, **** off'?
Ouch, I wouldn't do that.

For future reference, if you ever find yourself needing to do large file movements in Windows, look up a free Microsoft tool called Robocopy, that's the only way to go.

I'm on beta blockers and one side effect is that I sometimes switch a word for another that makes perfect sense, albeit completely wrongly. Not Lightwave then
No worries, I was actually checking because I thought there might have been some software actually called Lightwave that I knew nothing about.

Again, I assume that Lightroom will let me search by the camera used?
Absolutley, as per screen shot below you can filter/search your library by metadata, text and attributes. You can also apply various filters on Smart Collections too.

I've had a quick look, and the only camera that doesn't appear to have any 'exif-type' data is my very first one, a 1996 Kodak. All the others do have distinguishing data buried in their files.
Sounds like you should be just fine then. As for the Kodak, you can always look at either keywording or applying labels (two different things in Lightroom) to your Kodak images in Lightroom to make them easy to find.

You're right, I don't do scripts. Or rather, it's been a long time since I did a few.
In which case I'd definitely suggest third party software.... this is a scenario where you don't want to be risking bugs in scripts caused by rusty skills !

'Tis indeed Windows.
Ok, might take me a day or so (although I'll try to get some initial ideas back quicker) but I'll dig around the nether regions of the internet and let you know.

First suggestion of the day....

TreeSize Pro from Jam Software

A quick browse through their site says you can tell it to compare files based on MD5 or SHA256 hashes (https://www.jam-software.com/treesiz...e_search.shtml) They also offer a 30 day trial.

Last edited by mixture; 9th Sep 2014 at 12:32.