PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sims that look like the aircraft
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2003, 07:48
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can we stop refering to these devices as simulators.

As seen above they are way down the pecking order of devices.
They are just above Micro****e Flight sim for gods sake.

They CAN'T simulate real life because they are a computer which handles x to the power of 3 variables when mother nature has infinate variables.

FNPT time can be counted toward you ATPL so what, it isn't real hours which employers look at. At the end of it you still have less hours than a MEP FNTP 1 trained pilot. And less REAL experence.

yes Linda the FNPT II's can be set up as you say. But....

It all comes down to the Instructor as usual.

****e in ****e out.

Can the FNPT do coastal effect NO
Can the FNPT do dawn dusk effect NO
Can the FNPT do real localised beam bends NO
Can the FNPT give you the same trust your Instruments not the seat of your pants feel NO
Can the FNPT do all the multiple cock ups which occur in REAL flying. NO

In my IR

1. Dodgy Indian/Yorkshire ATCO bloke at Sheffield which only the Greek bloke in the back could understand.

2. Gear warning alarm going off on the go around when we wanted the gear up and it was up and were at full pwr.

3. Mountain wave **** I have busted 300ft. CAAFU "dosn't matter it was mountain wave".

4. Some **** in his Europa crashed at leeds don't decend below 400ft. Oh **** alt 1 onto QFE or will i do the sum, go around remember to change back to QNH bastard where did i write it, sod it, thank christ i set Alt2 with it.

5. pulling the ATIS off RVR below 800m diversion to HUM. **** pull the Jeppys out and get the plates. Instructor quite rightly saying deal with it.

And that was the ones that really stuck in my head. All totaly unplaned but happend because it was REAL life.

If you do it in the aircraft you KNOW you are getting the real thing.

Whats the point being charged 200 in a FNPT II when you could park your backside in a twin for 50 quid more and get to log real hours and real experence. FNPT II hours arn't even as useful as single hours and thats a fact.

Or in crude terms you can stay in with a dirty video and an inflatable doll (or in www,s case a inflatable sheep with a sheep skin rug on its back) or go out on the town and pull the real thing.

MJ

Hufty go with your gut feeling and remember that pilots for year s have been passing there IR's with FNPT 1's. I wanted the hours in my log book as well. 25dual FNPT, 30Hours twin time, about 30 hours solo time FNPT for free, for 10k. Which if you did it the FNTP II route you would have to shell out an additional 2k just to get the twin time up to the same state of play as me. Same qualifications less time in the book.

edit to add in below

FNPT 1 has no visuals so all you have infront of you is a fibreglass wall usually.

FNPT II has visuals so after take off you can look at a grey screen 5 meters away from you instead of a fibreglass screen 50cm away from you, either way you are looking at the panel which is in its usual place. Only thing you can do in the FNPTII that you can't on the FNPT 1 is a visual circuit to land. Even its pretty crap because you only have 30deg each side to look so thay start teaching start the stopwatch passing the numbers wait 30sec then turn in . Not much really for an extra 100 quid an hour.

Last edited by mad_jock; 16th May 2003 at 08:22.