PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GSS contract with BA terminated
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2014, 18:03
zeddb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm supposed to have disappeared but I thought a brief visit back from the grave was warranted just to update the interested.

Quite a large percentage went to the ME (mainly FO's and a handful of the newer captains). Nearly all the trainers and a number of Captains went to Norwegian longhaul, a few FO's went to Air Atlanta, one or two to China, I think a couple to Turkish and there are a handful on short term contracts with Cargolux which end soon.

A number of the over 60's went into training, some retired (lucky sods) and there are a handful still looking from what I have heard.

The BA guys numbered 9 or 10 out of 100 or so and they all went back to their old jobs.

The 747 is a nice aircraft but a dinosaur and consequently a useless rating in Europe. VS no longer recruit onto the 744 as it is gone in a couple of years, with the 787 arriving they can take their pick from the pissed off drivers from EK and others and BA just said no when asked if they would take the GSS guys. If you don't have a 777 rating, longhaul is now a closed door. No one will type rate you and there is no going back to shorthaul as no one will believe that you want to stop flying "heavies" and anyhow you are no longer current on the 737/A320/Sopwith camel or whatever.

China and the ME are out if you are over 50 and an FO. Those fortunate enough to have had continuous careers often expect everyone else in their 50's to be a senior captain and/or TRE and if you are not, it is assumed that you have screwed up somewhere along the line and you are usually ruled out of any selection.

It would be great if GSS were to restart but there is little hopeful news from that quarter.

Flying, a great job but a rotten industry unless you are born lucky.

Right, back in me coffin, close lid, shut up and accept it, stop whining etc.

Last edited by zeddb; 8th Sep 2014 at 18:11. Reason: bloody spelling