PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 8th Sep 2014, 11:54
chickenlover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coff,
Can't imagine anyone would do that sort of thing......

Fighter Affil got a lot more interesting when the fighters introduced the assumption that we were fitted with a gun, so they could no longer wave their @rses at us with their impunity. We had a very good relationship with the Harriers as my skipper was ex-harriers of many years and mates with most of the pilots. One memorable day over West Falkland we got in a fur ball with 3 GR3s. We also had OC Hardet on board taking a window seat. We survived a good 15 minutes before they claimed a kill on us but we got in a guns shot before then, verified by their boss. Much hilarity ensued on the flight deck. The poor Harrier mate, 'shot' by a Herc, had a tough time in the debrief. I'm sure anyone who flew with my skipper would remember the experience. I've never flown with a pilot who was better at combat/evasion/affil. He could make the Herc do things that should have been impossible. His use of the vertical in combat was a sight to see -caused quite a stir amongst the fighter community in the FI. I believe he was one of a handful of Herc pilots that went on to get an ovation in a red-flag debrief for his evasion skills against Red-air.
He was equally renowned for his low-flying - this is how i spent much of my time in the Falklands...

Slight thread creep - anyone remember these ? Only available to those who had endured endless viewings and could answer a tricky exam in quotes from the film

One of my ground duties was Adj, and thus I had to produce reems of paperwork. I always tried to lighten the daily orders/programme by adapting a well known cartoon to local interest.