PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC 2 : Castles In The Sky
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2014, 10:46
FODPlod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appear to have something in common with other posters. A few years after my late father joined the RAF and won the war (the Japanese surrendered three days after he was sent to India but they left him out there for another 18 months just to make sure), he joined the Air Ministry and was somehow involved with land-based radar stations. Our family followed him around the country to live near West Prawle in Devon, St Margaret's Bay in Kent, Oxenhope Moor in Yorkshire and finally RAF Signals Command, Medmenham in Buckinghamshire. He also had reason to visit radar stations abroad and I'll never forget receiving a postcard from the Tiger Balm Gardens in Singapore. This programme motivated me to research the radar he worked on and I believe he must have been involved with the post-war ROTOR air defence system.

We also had a TV he built himself during the early 1950s using a lurid green light-emanating oscilloscope and were very popular with the neighbours. Having been among the first to learn about solid state circuitry at night school, he was headhunted by Boeing in 1965 whereupon we moved to Renton then Bellevue in Washington State. He died in 1992.