PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Petition to Minister Truss
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2014, 06:42
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leopard & spots - Part two.

Happy snaps aside, the truth of the matter (in all its ugly glory..) is laid bare in a few short paragraphs by Kharon - bucket of choccy frogs to that man..:
There are literally thousands of pages which support the fact that despite all logic, CASA will not accept the recommendations of either coroner or the ATSB, but would rather spend time and money addressing and abrogating the identified area of responsibility, not with a view to improvement, but to reduction of 'liability' and responsibility.
I would add the empirical & historical evidence of over a quarter of a century, all dutifully recorded in many a CVD pilot's log book.

In the case of Cooper Pedy airport, the many safe landings & departures on the Shire's record of airport movements would again also more than adequately reflect an empirical safety record dating back over a quarter of a century.

From Aunty today I note that there is finally a Federal pollie, outside of the Senate, that dares to question Fort Fumble's BASR approach... (my bold):
MP questions need for Coober Pedy runway widening

The federal Member for Grey, Rowan Ramsey, is welcoming a decision over commercial flights to Coober Pedy but says he believes taxpayers' money will be wasted in widening the runway.

Regional Express has cancelled flights to the outback town from November 13 over new Civil Aviation Safety Authority regulations concerning the width of the town's runway.

The authority says existing operations can now continue until the runway is widened to meet the new standards.

Mr Ramsay is questioning why it has reached this stage.

"My bottom line is how much of a safety issue is it when we've been landing on it safely for 27 years with the same or similar aircraft?" he said.

"I actually think at the end of the day, and this is only Rowan Ramsey speaking, but I think that the strip doesn't need widening at all - it's a waste of public money to do so.

"But if there is no backing off from the regulation, if there's no allowance for the fact that we've got such a strong safety record there and the strip has to be widened, well then the strip has to be widened."
Must admit the Member for Grey has a point...

Last edited by Sarcs; 8th Sep 2014 at 22:14.