PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Purchasing an aircraft
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2014, 23:09
PrivateAviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

thanks a million for all the answers,very much appreciated

It's always good to hear other people's opinion as you always learn something new.

What I've come up with is:

I want to fly,a lot,or at least yes,I'd say 50 hours a year.
I love travelling,and if I could do it with my own plane it would be super cool.
I hate having to share it with people,mostly for the hassle of having to talk to each other all the time,organizing the planning and so forth.
I've just met two guys who own a jodel (one each) both registered in germany and both on permit to fly.
That way they save loads of $$ on maintenance costs and taxes (I'll be based in italy,but it doesn't have to be italian registered,on the contrary,I'd rather keep it registered abroad as it would be far better with taxes,permits and bureacracy).

they run on mogas.

and yes,I've reached the conclusion that two seats are just enough,it rarely happens that I take some more people with me more than my gf,so I wouldn't bother in getting a bigger engine (at least 160 hp I think) for all the flying when it's not needed.

I have IR,yes,but I think most of the flying will be VFR (honestly,the IFR cruise is sooo boring) it would be really handy to have the plane IFR certified but it ain't easy to find.

I have a question tho,which might be a bit tricky and lenghty.

I guess there's no common european regulation right?
I'm referring to ownership and maintenance,permit to fly certificates and so on.

I'll just give an example:

I've seen two airplanes for sale,one in france,one in the UK;
the first one is registered F and the other in Germany.

I dont think they are IFR certified (I'm still waiting to get a reply from the seller),but once I buy the plane,can I change the country registration (i.e. bring it from F to D registration?).
let's say the plane is NOT IFR certified,can I add the instruments myself (through a maintenance organization of course)and then have it re-certified?

if an aircraft has a certificate of airworthiness,is it possible to change it into a permit to fly so that I can do the basic maintenance?is it worthy or useless?

last but not least,let me please thank you all for your support.
I'm very new into this and I'm just trying to figure out all possible aspects to avoid any nasty surprise and to find what's best for me.

I have a lot of time to kill before I can meet up with my friends who already own the planes so I decided to start this thread just to see if I can learn some more.

once again,thank you all!

PA