PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC 2 : Castles In The Sky
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2014, 22:11
Danny42C

Vanity, vanities, all is Vanity, saith the Preacher.

Very watchable programme (and there aren't many of those around these days).

But please, BBC Producers, who told you that we all went around in those times wearing "trilbies" like that flat-brimmed job lot that some con-artist sold you for your Costume Department ? (and you're not alone: did Channel 4 borrow them for "Foyle's" War ? - and there are other offenders)

The brims look as if they've been starched and ironed (and are worn), so that none deviate more than 2 degrees from the horizontal, and you could cut yourself on the edges. Know now that trilbies were very popular, but they came in all sizes of brim, tilted to suit the wearer (down in front, up aft) was common, some floppy, some not. I myself had a soft, malleable, blue velour job (Dunn's Best) and thought myself no end of a dog with my elegant light blue raincoat with a kind of "Prince-of-Wales Check".

And bowlers were still common, and rakish panamas, and berets, and we of the lower orders wore "rat-catchers". It was considered polite to take your hat off indoors (unless you were a policeman or some other official, when you kept it on to preserve your authority).

As for the microwaves, by '55 (and possibly earlier) our GCA Radar mechs had found that, by inserting slices of bread into a section of a waveguide, very nice toast could be made.