PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Veterans planning to leave Scotland in the event of a yes vote?
Old 7th Sep 2014, 21:30
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ShyTorque
Seems to me that the Scottish Separatist movement is being orchestrated by someone with a personal grudge against England and therefore a personal agenda.
Someone? Personal grudge? Personal agenda?

The Scottish National Party has been in existence for more than 80 years, has consistently campaigned for Scottish independence and is the largest political party in Scotland in terms of membership. The primary reason it has taken so long to get to this point is that, for decades, it was impossible to break the Labour strongholds in Scotland. There was once a suggestion that money could be saved by weighing votes in Scotland instead of the pointless exercise of counting them.

The SNP has been continuously represented at Westminster since Winnie Ewing was elected as MP for Hamilton in 1967. She became only the second nationalist MP, joining the late Gwynfor Evans who had been elected as the first Plaid Cymru (National party of Wales) MP the previous year.
As a teenager I was proud to be one of a group who carried the truly great man shoulder high following the declaration that he had won with 16,179 votes – a number indelibly etched in my memory. I still treasure that moment, almost half a century later.
The movement for independence has always been stronger in Scotland. Although Plaid Cymru is still an active political party, Wales clearly has no desire to be independent; the Welsh are patriotic but not nationalist.
Perhaps because Wales was conquered 171 years before Scotland so the Welsh have had longer to get used to it.

FL

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 7th Sep 2014 at 21:43.