PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Everybody should be able to pilot an aircraft
Old 7th Sep 2014, 20:08
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's just as important is learning the differences between variations of the same model you're flying - I learnt to fly on a C172R; in that aircraft, flicking the flap switch upwards meant the flaps retracted fully. Fast forward to my first flight with a C172M, I decide to practise a few touch and goes to get the feel for the aircraft before taking guests with me. Either way, I landed, flicked the flap switch upwards and then opened the throttle.

Those who've flown an M will already know what happened.... The plane took to the skies quicker than I expected but refused to gain speed, it was creeping along at around 70 - 75 knots with full throttle, even though I'd lowered the nose to increase speed, even though the altimeter was showing no noticeable rate of climb, the airspeed indicator stayed nailed where it was - why won't this spam can accelerate, I was thinking to myself?

A quick glance over my shoulder showed the flaps half way between 30 and 40 degrees, no-one had told me that C172M have flaps that only move as long as you're holding the flap switch and I'd got so used to doing things "the way I always do them", I didn't bother checking the flap position indicator.......