PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2014, 14:15
Artie Fufkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure SRB would be happy to sell the whole lot to Delta if the EU would let him
When BA/AA got regulatory approval to coordinate their flights from Heathrow to the US, Branson publicly stated that VA couldn't compete with them, that it was game over for VA and asked Deutchesbank to find a buyer for his 51% share. What happened was rather odd. DB found a buyer for, not Branson's shareholding, but Singapore's 49% shareholding (Delta) and suddenly Branson seemed happy. Willie Walsh soon afterwards publicly bet Branson that Virgin would't exist in 5 years time. Its almost like he had heard some not-published detail of the Virgin/ Delta deal.

Since they bought in, Delta have conspicuously been in control, despite having a minority shareholding. What's really going on here? Is there more to the deal than was published? Is Branson babysitting his share of the company whilst the business is reorganised into a shape that would allow Delta to buy out Branson's share too? A UK airline that operates exclusively between the UK and US could be bought by a US company (as I understand it)

Little Red's only VA owned slot (a none remedy slot) has already been sold to Delta, Little Red is being shut down and there is a large cull in all non US flights. If the beach fleet is sold on to another UK holiday operator that would leave Virgin in a state that could be sold to a US company like Delta. Am I being too sceptical?

paxboy - sunday times article