PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tornado GR1 ZA610
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2014, 12:26
paulilf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tornado GR1 ZA610

Hello this is my first post on such a forum and I have to be honest from the start and say that I am not from any type of aviation back ground.
What I am asking is being written with the greatest respect to the people how were involved.
In 1985 Tornado GR1 ZA610 crashed into the sea about 16 miles of Flambrough head on the east coast of the uk. I think I have read everything on the net that can be found about the crash. However I have found a news paper report from that time stating that Flt-Lieut John Sheen was found with ejector seat 16 miles off Flambrough head. It goes on to say another body was found 36 miles to the east with an ejector seat. But that body was not the body of the pilot...The paper does not name the pilot. But he was Flt-Lieut Mike Barnard. The story becomes even more strange as I have now spoken to the man who found John Sheen on that sad day and pulled him and the ejector seat from the water. This man was part of a 3 man trawler who first located the Tornado on their sounder. I am still trying to establish if Mike Barnard was ever found. I have searched old archives of the time but can only find the reference to the mystery of the body being found who was not the pilot.
I also would like to know why the Tornado would be highly Radioactive ?
There is quite a lot more to add but out of respect to the Pilot and Navigator I will stop.
Regards Paul