PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2014, 09:45
Keke Napep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

NEO,
If you have any good news, please post it. Me, I fear for the safety of my family and the future of my company. I think we work for the same company, which used to be fairly good, but now all I see is chaos and confusion. I certainly have no idea of what's happening. A$$lick decimated the company when he was MD and now he's even more powerful, he's decimated it even more on his recent culling visit. Do you know what's happening with PAAN or BATS? One of my good friends works for BATS and he has no idea .
ACN seems to be going down the toilet. The GM left and even JVdeM after 30 years of working for them has abandoned ship and gone to Caverton .
I'm not from the north, but I have friends there who are seriously scared and with good reason. They see BH as an unstoppable force like Islamic State. Many of their weapons are taken from our demoralised army who just abandon weapons and uniform and rain away from them like the civilians in Gwoza, Banki and Bama. They are destroying bridges to stop the army getting into many areas near Maiduguri and most of the residents of Maiduguri are also in fear that it will soon be overrun and become the capital of a new caliphate. Even many Muslims there fear the arrival of BH and what will happen to their sons and daughters. More than 50,000 of mt countrymen are now refugees in Niger, a country much poorer than Nigeria and tens of thousands are refugees in Camerron, a country which is also likely to become seized and part of a new Islamic caliphate. Our army in the north has only managed to terrorise the population even more, and turn and run whenever they are attacked.
I don't know if you're in Lagos at the moment, but most people have given up shaking hands. More than 200 people in PH are being monitored for Ebola. A diplomat fled Lagos and infected a doctor in PH and at least 60 of his contacts there are classed by the WHO as 'high risk' contacts
It all started at the beginning of August, when a diplomat in Lagos violated a quarantine order and fled to Port Harcourt. That man infected a doctor at the port city, who then had contact with more than 200 people, the World Health Organization said Wednesday. About 60 people had what WHO calls "high-risk exposure" — they were in direct contact with the doctor or his bodily fluids.

“ It's like fighting a wildfire when the wind picks up. When embers start hopping to new places, you have to redistribute your resources when you'd prefer to focus all of them on a single front.
- Epidemiologist John Brownstein of Harvard University, on the spread of Ebola in Nigeria
The doctor secretly treated the diplomat in a Port Harcourt hotel room. The diplomat reportedly has survived.

The doctor developed symptoms — and thus became contagious to others — on Aug. 11. But for the next two days, he continued to treat patients in his private clinic, performing surgery on two.

As his Ebola symptoms worsened, but before he went into the hospital, the doctor had "numerous contacts" with relatives and friends who came to his home to celebrate the birth of a baby, the WHO said.

After he was hospitalized, the doctor was treated by the majority of the staff at the hospital's clinic over a six-day period, plus doctors at an outside ultrasound clinic. He also had contact with many members of his church, who visited to perform a healing ritual "said to involve the laying-on of hands," the WHO reports.

The doctor died on Aug. 22. His wife got Ebola but has survived. On Thursday the Nigerian Federal Ministry of Health reported that the doctor's sister has Ebola.

Air traffic connections from West Africa to the rest of the world: While Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone don't have many flights outside the region, Nigeria is well-connected to Europe and the U.S.
Goats and Soda
A Few Ebola Cases Likely In U.S., Air Traffic Analysis Predicts
The WHO currently reports 21 cases of Ebola and seven deaths in Nigeria. According to Nigerian Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu, five of these cases — two of whom have died — are in the Port Harcourt cluster.

But WHO officials are very worried that Nigeria could see many more cases. "Given these multiple high-risk exposure opportunities, the outbreak of Ebola virus disease in Port Harcourt has the potential to grow larger and spread faster than the one in Lagos," the WHO said.

I know that after your own recent survival you may be feeling invulnerable now. I can't imagine what you went through and survived. Most of us hope that will never happen to us, but many of us are afraid of what's happening in our country, militarily, health-wise and politically. I'd love to send my family away, but then I'd be accused of taking advantage of the fact that I'm in a well paid job and running scared. It's getting close to the point where I'm ready to take the criticism of friends and other family members to protect my family though.

If I hear some good news, I'll post it, but right now, the short term future is looking rather bleak