PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash incident at Northam YNTM
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2014, 06:54
allthecoolnamesarego

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awqward,

I'm not sure why you think that my joining in 2005 leads me to believe in pre WWII Training methods (perhaps posting my join date has nothing to do with it, and I'm reading too much into it)
A T&G is indeed a useful training tool to maximise landing practice, but it also a very useful tool in teaching/practicing aircraft handling. If the runway is too short, then of course a T&G is not advisable. If the x-wind is outside safe limits, then don't do it (but if that is the case, how did you get airborne in the first place??)
If a pilot can't handle a T&G, then I suggest they are not yet capable of solo flight, and need more training.
As for your comment re intentional spinning, I might be slow, but miss your point.
In a Mooney - pretty sure I agree with you. However, as an aerobatic pilot, intentional spin training is vital to my safety .

I hate having these discussions on line, because it might come across that I am talking down to you, or be righteous. I am not in any way trying to sound that way, but am merely stating a point of view that I am happy to have a civil, professional discussion about.

I have not flown a Mooney and therefore can not comment on it's handling. But from comments thus far, it seems it requires a significant trim change with power application. It seems that this would be required from a go around or aT&G, so therefore, the T&G is not the issue, but rather the lack of pitch control.
I am not pre-empting any investigation re this accident, but commenting that pitch up with power application is the issue, not the manoeuvre that preceded it.