PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Benson, sshhhh!
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2014, 22:01
lmgaylard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

This reminds me of a couple of stories from Yeovilton Village;

About 10 years ago a chap moved into Yeovilton Village and only a fews day later he started to complain to the PRO at RNAS Yeovilton about the noise.
These complaints carried on and he began to threaten leagal action. So Yeovilton PRO went to visit this chap to discuss the problems and any suitable ways to ease the noise.
On entering the chaps house the PRO creeted him and asked his name to which he replied ''I'm Captain Jack, ex Royal Navy'' !! Obviously not his real name...

Earlier in the year I got talking to a new resident of the village who had recently moved down from Manchester. He told me that he and his wife were gobsmacked to find an active military airbase right on his door step.
When he had previously viewed the property he would meet the estate agent in Yeovil and always on a Saturday. The estate agent, instead of driving the main route to the village through Ilchester, would drive to the village along the back roads. This route takes you into the rear of the village and nowhere where you can actually see the airfield.
So, they bought the property and moved down on a Saturday. Early on the Monday morning the wife was woken by the loud sound of a low flying helicopter, this was followed by another and another. Thinking this was a bit strange the couple decided to take a walk and follow the noise. As they went past the memorial church and turned the corner they could not believe their eyes; an active military airfield!
Apparently the couple sued the estate agent and won and got a hefty financial compensation package.
They still live in the village and the wife has recently bought a camera to photograph the aircraft.....

Last edited by lmgaylard; 8th Sep 2014 at 11:24. Reason: Can't spell