PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Day Britain Stopped
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2003, 02:19
Jerricho
Ohcirrej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bill,

I'll probably cop an earfull for this, but.....

Are you talking about the same public that a large percentage reads the notorious Tabloid Newspapers. Perhaps a little harsh (and I apologise now if this offends), but the point is that we have an inability to formally fight our corner when information regarding our jobs is portrayed inaccurately to the public (if we did....well, NATS' policy on direct contact with the media is know far and wide). Never once has any ATCO on this forum or the ATC forum stated that circumastances may line up one day and the unthinkable happen. The emotional response has been over the portrayal of certain facets of what we do on a daily basis as incorrect, and the sensationalism BBC has attempted to use to gain more viewers. Thought provoking yes, as good journalism should be however, accuracy in ALL areas is required also.

And just for your information, my neighbours watched the program and asked me "is that really what could happen", my mother-in-law was straight on the phone after the show.....and these are people who I would classify as more than "average informed" about my job!