PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC 2 : Castles In The Sky
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2014, 14:59
Nugget90

Received 37 Likes on 5 Posts
Raids on London

MAINJAFAD, I noted your observation that by the end of 1935 the Air Ministry was committed to building 5 Chain Home Stations at Bawdsey and then took a look at my father's Pilots Flying Log Book that covered this period.

He was in late 1936 a pilot on No 64 (F) Squadron flying Hawker Demons having recently returned from Mesopotamia where they had been evolving tactics designed to repel bomber attacks on the UK. (How's that for anticipation!?)

Specifically, on the 21st of December 1936 he flew K4509 for 1 hour and 30 minutes from Martlesham Heath, where the Squadron was based, via Shellness and Bexley on a task recorded as, "TACTICAL EXERCISE. Raid on London. Fog and Smoke". Then again on the 21st of January 1937, in K4509, "Raid on London. Thick cloud."

I shall never know, but they might just have been simulating a hostile raid for the benefit of the ROC and radar defences associated with the Air Defence of Great Britain.

He went on, later, to fly Hurricanes on authorised defence sorties in the BoB, but as he was at the time on the strength of No 9 Service Flying Training School, RAF Hullavington, which was not under the control of Fighter Command, didn't qualify for the Battle of Britain Clasp. Later, he flew Wellingtons from RAF Marham so his 1939-45 Star now bears the Bomber Command Clasp.