PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong hijack by Scots Guards!
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2014, 19:55
huge72

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Scots Guards

I was also serving in HK at the time of the incident on 28(ac)Sqn. The 2 concerned were on duty on the Border at the time. For one reason or another they decided after a few drinks that they wanted to return home. They stole the patrol Land Rover and headed for Stanley. This of course meant they had to go through both Lion Rock and Harbour Tunnels. Did they stop to pay at the Toll Booths, no but an SLR got them through!!!!! After picking up their Kit from Stanley, they headed back to Kai Tak back through the Harbour Tunnel. Shots fired again, they then crash the Airport which at that time of night was closed so take up position in the departure lounge to wait like good soldiers for the morning. Meanwhile the Hong Kong Police Special Duties Unit surrounded them to wait it out prior to the Morning; however before they were taken by this unit the Colonel turned up, marched into the departure lounge and the two by now sober guardsmen gave themselves up. They were taken into police custody and subsequently tried and sent to Stanley Jail. At the time of the handover in 97 I believe they were still there but I heard they were to be returned to UK to serve out the rest of their sentence.